Wednesday, September 2, 2009

More Sentences

Summer Theater is over now, so I'm able to scrape together a few minutes for an update. Simon is 21 months old and loves to talk. He's good with words. Here are some more of my favorite sentences:

* "Sun is like a orange moon. Sun is like a orange stop sign."
* "Two guitars. Guitar has a hole. Like a chimney?"
* "The truck has a flashing blue light."
* "Green leaves and flowers in the alley."
* "Tapioca is puddin'."
* "Mommy cookin' broccoli and sardines." (sardines pronounced "sar-beens")
* "McQueen and Sally drive on a bridge...water, dry leaves, huge waterfall." (referring to a scene from the movie Cars.
* "Lady playin' the bagpipes." (a woman was playing the bagpipes in the park)
* "This way bicycle, man with a helmet."
* "What's the deal?"

Sometimes he speaks a bit Spanglishy. Here is the way he described playing with his friends at the park:
"Niños at the parque. Lucas and Eli and Cairo and Justin and Jake. Niños say 'Hi.'" Remember the sand? Remember the library in the other parque?"

He made up a song the other day while we were walking down the street. It went like this: "Trees and cars and trash cans and vans... and Hummers!"

There was a carnival at the park down the street two weekends ago. I had performances and couldn't go, so Michael took Simon one night and my dad took him the next night. The first night I asked Simon what he did at the carnival. He told me, "Big wheel up in the sky" (he saw a ferris wheel), "White balls" (He and Michael played a game that involved throwing white balls at targets), "Monkey" (Michael won an orange toy monkey in the ball toss game). Later, Simon named the monkey Kumlee. Where he got that name is a mystery to all of us. The next night, after Simon went to the carnival again with Papa, I asked him what he did. He told me, "Red bear turn around" (they rode a red bear on a bear ride that goes around in circles), "Bee up in the sky" (they went on a bee ride that goes around in circles and up and down), "Ride on a truck" (they went on a truck ride).

I'm starting to be surprised by all the stuff he knows. For example:

Me: "This plant has thorns. They're sharp. Ouch! Be careful."
Simon: "Like a cactus?"
Me: "Yeah! Who told you about cactuses?"
Simon: "Daddy."

Here's a hilarious pun/joke Simon made the other day. The key here is the way Simon pronounces the word "milk." He says "moke." There have been out-of-control fires in our general area and you could see huge plumes of smoke in the nearby hills. Simon and I had talked about the fire and smoke quite a bit. A few days ago we were out walking, and I pointed to the hills and said, "That's smoke." He looked at me, then pointed to my chest and said, "That's milk!" He cracked up.

Simon also loves making rhymes. "Mommy salami" is one of his favorites. "Penis neenis" is another (usually only said during diaper changes).

Oh, yeah--Simon decided to name my car a few days ago. He named it Fatty. I don't know where he got the name. I don't think he knows what it means. I think he just likes the sound of it. Anyway, my car is Fatty.

2 comments:

Giggly said...

Oh goodness, he is SO smart, clever, and adorably funny!! So cute.

Anonymous said...

Stephen Pierce is offering his book "Make Real Money on the Internet" absolutely free! Get your copy today! http://tinyurl.com/y99wnzw